First United & Middle Circle invite you to Zoom Church Theology Discussion Night tomorrow Sunday (8/26) at 5 PM.
Zoom Church Theology Night is all about sharing in conversation around our experiences with religion, spirituality and theology and how they are viewed and used in our local community, country and wider world. Participants are welcome to participate as much or as little as they would like. We will be gathering through the online meeting platform Zoom.us
We will take a look at several translations of this Sunday’s lectionary gospel reading where Jesus asks his followers “Who do you say I am?” (Mt. 16:13-20) and explore some of the questions below:
- What are the various ways people view Jesus? What perspectives do we find useful? What perspectives do we think have been harmful? Which ones do we find to be important to uplift right now?
- Who do people say the Son of God, Human One, Jesus, etc. is?
- Who is Jesus to me?
- What perspectives of Jesus do we connect with individuals?
- What perspectives of Jesus/Christ do we struggle to connect with?
- What views of Jesus/Christ help to bring forth an outcome of human flourishing and which views do we see as harmful to society?
*In this session we will close with a brief time for meditation, contemplation, reflection and prayer led by one of our community members.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE
You can participate by computer, tablet or smartphone and if you are a first time Zoom user you will need to complete a quick download of the free Zoom app prior to the meeting. It helps to use a device with a camera so we can see if you, but you can also call in by phone.
Time: Aug 27, 2017 5:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/4156108321
Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +16468769923,,4156108321# or +14086380968,,4156108321#
Dial: +1 646 876 9923 (US Toll) or +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll)
Meeting ID: 415 610 8321
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=WNnYPEuoiHfzi7XjsyLEIUhUvIXn2nVx
This group seeks to explore and discuss questions, themes and topics involving spirituality, religion, divinity and theology. This is a great group for folks who were raised within Christianity or a different religion and are interested in exploring how it has impacted them and how they can engage in that religious traditions today. It's also a great group for people who were raised outside of a particular religious tradition and are interested in exploring how theology might or might not be helpful for them today.
This group meets through Zoom, a free online conferencing platform.
Each gathering will focus on a specific question or theme and will be facilitated by a Middle Circle community member. Examples of questions and themes can be found below.
- Does God exist? Is there a God or many Gods? What are different ways of trying to understand concepts of divinity?
- Sin & Atonement
- Creation & Evolution
- Science & Religion
- What is Scripture? Why? How do we read sacred texts today? What about modern literature?
- Theodicy: Why is there suffering?
- Prayer & Meditation
- Rituals & Sacraments
- Church & Other Places of Worship
- How Religion Affects Perspectives of Sex, Gender & Race
- Theology & Care of the Earth
- Ethics & Morals
- The Golden Rule vs The Platinum Rule
- The Nature of God?
- What is Religion? What is Spirituality? What is the difference?
- What if there was no religion?