Wayfinder Kit: A Toolkit for Mind & Soul
Wayfinder Kit: A Toolkit for Mind & Soul
The Wayfinder Kit is a tool for supporting deep reflection and clear action in your learning — a compact but power-packed collection of methods for uncovering your own answers.
Handcrafted by Alan Webb & Sarah Bradley in California
The Wayfinder Kit contains 130+ tools, questions, and activities to support your learning journey and those of others, which can be remixed and reused for an array of settings, from corporate teams to your next bookclub.
WHAT'S INSIDE THE WAYFINDER KIT?
1. A Guidebook journal for personal reflection — this is a beautiful, hand-sewn booklet of questions and prompts to work through slowly and intentionally, over a long weekend away or as a daily or weekly ritual. We include two journals in every Wayfinder Kit ($100) to encourage you to share the experience with friends.
2. A library of activities and prompts in the form of four card decks, one for each season (more than one card for every week of the year, to keep you in the rhythm of learning). These creative, engaging questions and practices will become some of your favorite seeds to come back to every year and to share in conversation with friends.
WHO IS THE WAYFINDER KIT FOR?
- DIY learners, autodidacts, and self-directed learners who are learning all of the time, but craving a bit more structure and accountability. This includes students at universities who are charting their own course through school, or who want to learn how to take advantage of the resources at school better while they have the chance.
- Homeschoolers and Unschoolers (and their parents) who want to expand their playbook of ways to spend a day, to care for the learning that is emerging in themselves (or in their children).
- Teachers, Advisers, and Camp Directors looking for more engaging methods and looking for ways to help their students understand what they want to learn and how to take more responsibility for their own learning goals.
- Learning and Development Professionals wanting to help their employees make the most of the learning resources their organization provides with more clarity about what they want to learn.
- Young Professionals who want to keep learning, and not just about things related to their job requirements. This is particularly for those early and mid-career professionals who are trying to figure out what their next step is, but unsure where to even start with this question. And, of course:
- Other Facilitators and Coaches looking for a powerful set of activities and questions to bring into the spaces they hold for others.
WHAT'S THE STORY BEHIND THE KIT?
Built on a rich history of grassroots, popular education practices and thinkers from Rudolph Steiner and Septima Clark to Charles Eisenstein and Scott Sherman, the Wayfinder Kit is a foundational resource from the organization Open Master's.
First created in 2014, the Kit was a community tool for designing a self-directed Open Master's journey and building a supportive peer community along the way. It was made as a toolset for liberating and supporting education outside of its constraints, rooted in the knowledge that learning isn't just for ages 5-22, and it doesn't only happen inside a school.
WHAT ARE PEOPLE SAYING ABOUT THE WAYFINDER KIT?
“I am so, so grateful for the Open Master's Community for distilling life's big questions into Wayfinder kits to help guide me in this daunting process. Get a kit yourself and let's study our souls together!” – Erika Bowman, artist and teacher in Washington, DC
“Facilitators, the Gather deck in the Wayfinder Kit is my #1 go-to when planning group sessions or retreats, and needing a creative spark. In general, the kit is my favorite thing to lend to friends in transition. – Brittany Koteles, Fellowship Team at Ashoka US
"The Wayfinder kit is my go-to resource for coaching teens — and coaching myself — through big questions of life direction and purpose." – Blake Boles, Director of Unschool Adventures, author of Better Than College
"As a full-time facilitator, the Wayfinder Kit is like a getting a new set of super powers. The cards and journal reflect the great depth and practice of The Open Master's team and challenge me to be more reflective in my own work. This toolkit takes it's place among my favorite tools from Standford's d.School." – Spencer Ingram, Director of Entrepreneurship Programs, Verb, Austin, Texas